Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Alone time

During our trip to Oglebay I took advantage of some alone time to walk to the glass museum and tour the gardens. I think I found my new obsession for next spring summer. I know it’s early but my 2011 goal is to start building an “English garden”. I would be thrilled to share my yard with a few of these beautiful creatures.

Here’s a Tiger Swallowtail




This is a Silver Spotted Skipper


This one is called a Painted Lady


I stumbled on a few others but the photos didn’t all come out so great. Either way this next one is by far my favorite.

I’m still not certain of his name. He looks a lot like a Zebra Swallowtail or a Pale Swallowtail but the coloring is off some. I think he is fabulous whatever his name!



Now if I could just find that plant. I think I need to start my garden off with that flower, what do you think?

4 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I've always wanted to have a garden that would attract butterflies. Those photos are so lovely!!!!

Intense Guy said...

Those flowers would attract more than butterflies! They are so purty!

Oglebay... West Virginia? I don't think Pale Swallowtails live on the eastern part of the USA.

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/ has a good online identification search thingy. Looks like a Zebra Swallowtail going by their picture of one.

:)

p.s., I've no idea what the flower is - perhaps the museum had a brochure on them?

Heather said...

Wow - you're quite the photographer! New hobby maybe?? Yeah I know - in your spare time - right?!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

OH Wow you know we have one here by the house and I've never gone. That would be a GREAT way to just relax!

Yes that flower is awesome!!