Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Simple Summer Planter Project

After the beach trip last year, we came home with several shells and other collected items. They were all put on a shelf in the garage and then moved around a few time before I finally came up with a plan for them.

First, I found a paper plate holder thingy (for a lack of a better term). You know, one of those things that should be used to give stability to your paper plate for picnics. I had one floating around in my pantry. I have no idea why I only had one but now it too finally has a good use.

Then I covered it with some small fish tank pebbles.

Nope, don’t have a fish tank but I have three different bags of fish tank pebbles just taking up space in the garage. (I keep everything. My Grandmother was part packrat and I got that gene from her).



The pebbles help the shell sit level on the dish.

A couple tablespoons of soil and a few “hens” from my chick and hen plants and I had a new planter. I toped it off with some more colored stones, pebbles and coral to finish my simple summer planter. It adds a nice touch to my patio and it needs very little attention. It gets a little mist from the kids spray water bottles and that’s all the watering it needs.






Happy Summer!!!


504 Main

7 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I absolutely love how that looks. Very, very cute!

Intense Guy said...

That paper plate "thingy" (they really must have a name!) simply screams YOU its so your color!!!

So those are chick and hen plants... I've seen them around...

I hope you are having a nice summer!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

I love the pop of color and what a freaking cool idea as always :)

Heather said...

See - it's on a plate holder - me and Ty weren't crazy when we wanted to eat the yummies at dusk! he he he. It does look so beautiful!

Ruth said...

This is such a cute idea. I love the use of the shells as planters.

Ruth

www.raemissigman.com said...

I love the little plant! So sweet! My daughter made me some beautiful white "flowers" out of duct tape that look just like that! Love it!

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

I love what you did with them! Great way to re purpose!