Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Have a seat

Here’s a fun idea for a year round planter. Any old chair can easily be turned into a whimsical planter. It’s a great little conversation starter too. Mine sits on my porch all year and gets decorated for each season.

The next time you’re at a flea market or yard sale, don’t disregard that beaten down, ragged old chair with no seat left. I found this one in a friend’s barn and it only had three legs. The hubby found some scrap wood and did some magic with a few nails and some glue. It’s not strong enough to sit on but it works fine for a few plants. I used some weed barrier and a staple gun to make a pseudo bucket to hold the dirt and whatnot. Slapped some left over paint on it and it looks good as new…well close enough.





When planting in the chair, I like to have one plant that grows up like a grass and one for color or something that will flower and a third that will grow down or vine like an ivy of some sort. I top everything off with some moss to give it a finished look.

I bought this one a few tears ago at a yard sale for $5.00.





In the fall, I fill it with gourds then I use a bright orange ribbon to tie some Indian corn to the back.

During the winter I fill it with pinecones or sometimes holiday ornaments and tie a nice gold ribbon on the back.

In late winter early spring, I fill it with different rocks, moss and a cute garden trinket.

This is just one trash to treasure idea. If you really want some good ideas go check out Ashley over at Domestic Fashionista. She’s the queen of trash to treasure.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well aren't you creative!

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

this is brillant! I love these chairs.. and actually have an old one I am looking at as we speak, that would work great for this!

Elaine at Lipstickdaily said...

Very creative . . . and I don't even have to go to a flea market to get a broken down old chair . . . have them all over my house!

Jan said...

You ARE so creative.

Did I tell you about my one live houseplant? LOL

Alexis AKA MOM said...

You amaze me as always! You are the most craft person I've met, I LOVE this idea! Now to actually do one of these amazing tricks. Yup I'll live threw yours for a while :)

The Gonzo Mama said...

I love this! I am especially into the ideas that don't require me to grow anything, like pinecones!

So... I've mentioned before that I can't comment as often as I like because I'm usually on my Palm, and your comment settings won't let me. I had the same problem with commenting on my own Blogger site until I changed the comment form to a pop-up. If you decide to do this, please let me know, so I can comment away!

xoxo
The Gonzo Mama

The Gonzo Mama said...

Oooo... I am commenting from my mobile! w00t!

Debbie said...

What a cute and clever idea!

Anonymous said...

You know that I really love these chairs! We have to figure out what color and where I can put one!
LOVE MOM XOXOXOXOXO

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Great idea! Of course I love anyone who can find some thrifting bargains! :) Great to "meet" you!
Carrie