I think there is a part of me that is still in shock that it’s really done. Well, for the most part anyway. The drop cloth is gone, the paint cans are put away and the furniture is no longer sitting in the middle of the room. I have a few details that need finishing to really call it D.O.N.E. I’m building up my nerve now to work on a few paintings for the walls.
I’m more this kind of painter…
Not this kind of painter…
This is what is used to look like…
This is how it looks now.
I removed the dental molding from the fireplace, striped it and then stained it a dark walnut color. I loved it right away. I’m so happy I finally did this. I also removed the brass from the front of the fireplace. Someday there will be tile covering the brick. For now, that is out of my expertise and I’ll need to wait for hubby to get in the mood. (????) That mirror looks different on the mantle now. It looks even better in person too. I few new knick-knacks and it’s a completely different look. See the shelves on right? They look so much better too. I bought a few black bins to put toys in and everything seems so much more clean and neat. Ok, so, I’m still a little afraid to put all my stuff out but I’m getting there.
Remember my stumbling block over what to do with the windows?
Here’s what I came up with for the living room.
I found some sheers that matched the wall color perfectly and I hemmed them just to touch the window seal. I wanted the living room window and the sliding door (just a few feet apart) to have the same fabric but different styles to the window treatments. At first I planed to buy the fabric and make them but that was going to be waaaaay too expensive, once I founds the fabric I liked. So, I found curtain panels and altered them to look the way I vision in my head. For the living room, all I really needed to do was cut and hem the panels. They already had grommets on the top. Wait until you see what I did to them for the sliding door. Awe. You’ll have to wait for another post to see that. (Oh, and I added some must have roll down shades for that killer sun shine)
Here’s a shot of the pillows I made to pull the room together.
From left to right; I used a brown and blue brocade but depending on how the light hits it you can see some silver. The next one looks like leather. I got that fabric months ago to make a purse but used half of it here. I’m sure the rest will some day turn into t a purse. The next one was fun. I just painted some birds on using stencils I made. There’s a momma bird a papa bird and three little baby birds. Just like my family. That little blue one I got on sale for 50% off. I made the last one from a tablecloth. It was the perfect color and I liked it. I used some for a runner that is on a sofa table just above this love seat. The rest I used for 2 pillows.
I’ll show you more soon.