Thursday, March 26, 2009

Mom, Where's the...?

As an Occupational Therapist, it has been my job to help people gain their highest level of independence. As a Mom I benefit when my kiddos can find toys or craft items on their own. I can’t even count how many times I hear “Mom, where’s the …?” So, I’m always looking for ways to make my life easier… Aa, I mean help my kids get their stuff. Yah, that’s what I mean.

You might have guessed from some of my other blog posts, like this one and this one, that I like to organize. So last weekend, while the hubby was out of town, the kiddos helped me organize all their craft stuff. I know I talked about using google images to make your own pictures when I talked about all those baby wipe bins. I don’t think I really explained how to do that trick. I learned how to do it thanks to my super cool, really smart friend. (Thanks C)

So here goes my attempt to pass the knowledge onto you.
Open a “word” or other type of word processing document. Minimize it so you can bring up the Internet at the same time.
Go to Google.
Across the top of the google page, you want to click on Images.
Then type in the object you are looking for i.e.; glue, scissors, pla-doh…
Then right click and a small menu window will pop up.
In there, click on “copy”
Now go to your document and right click, then click again on “paste.”
Ta Da!


I used the images I found to create labels that the kids could use to find their different craft supplies. I found this 4-drawer organizer on sale at target for $15.00. It fits perfectly under the desk in our kitchen. (Helpful hint, take a tape measurer with you and know how much space you have to work with).

3 comments:

Teaching Heart Mom said...

I love labels... as you know! Great tips!

Leslie said...

What a great idea. I LOVE to organize. My family thinks I'm nuts.

Stacey said...

What a great way to organize craft supplies. I use a scrapbook bag, keeps me from buying more supplies with no where to fit them!