Thursday, June 4, 2009

Last day of School!!!

Another school year is coming to an end. If you’re looking for a cute gift idea for your kiddo’s teacher, here’s an idea I found. I saw this on someone’s blog several months ago (Sorry I can’t remember where). Anyway, I tried it on my own from memory and it turned out pretty good.


Supplies:
Mat board with 8 x 10 opening
Card stock
New box of crayons
Tape
Sharp scissors or utility knife
Hot glue gun (White glue will work too but take longer to dry)


I had two to make so I used a 64-count box of crayons and had plenty left over. Each “Teacher Award” took me about 30 minutes to make. I used “word” to create the writing at the top and to put the teacher’s name along the side. I also had an outline of the initial that I wanted to fill in with the cut crayons. Start laying out your crayons to fill in the letter on your award. Cut each one to fit within the shape of the letter. You might want to stager the crayons to get a more artistic look. Once you have 4 to 6 cut, start to glue them down using the hot glue gun. If you use white glue you will have more time to work at getting everything in place but the project will take longer to dry and be finished.

Work in groups of 4 to 6 crayons at a time until you have filled in the letter. After all the crayons are glued and the glue has set you can attach it to the mat board. Hold it up to the light to make sure the cardstock is centered behind the mat board. Use some masking tape along each edge on the back side of your project to secure the cardstock to the mat board.

What ideas do you have for teacher gifts????





7 comments:

Jen said...

As a teacher I would love that gift! Creative and special!

Thanks for your comment on my blog today! I do believe the breaking of my bookend had a purpose! It's kind of ironic because I TOTALLY believe that and I plan on posting about it soon!! Thanks again for the comment! I needed it today!!

BTW I love the purse in the picture in your previous post! SO cute!!

Teaching Heart Mom said...

Very nice... So cool. I didn't even realize those crayons were real until i read the post. Good idea

Debbie said...

That is really cute. I never have clever ideas like that.

Leslie said...

What a great idea! Teacher's gifts are always hard.

Happy Friday! Enjoy your weekend!

Anonymous said...

Very cute!!!! My hubby is a teacher, trust me, ANYTHING is acceptable. It's always nice to feel appreciated!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

What a WONDERFUL idea! You're such a sweet person to do that. I would LOVE to get something so special like that.

I gave cupcakes from a special cupcake place :), I know so creative :)

kyooty said...

I must the the "stupid mom" I never give gifts. My sister is a teacher, my inlaws were both teachers and holy Coffee mugs batman (my hubbie and son are watching batman tonight, I had to fit that in). So I know they don't want clutter but THIS! omg this would make me cry if I was a teacher. this is a fabulous idea.