Monday, June 14, 2010

Happy Flag Day


We’re pretty patriotic around here. You might have noticed we were fairly decked out in flags for Memorial Day. I tear up when the star spangled banner plays. I guess it comes with the territory. I mean people around here set their chairs up at least a week before the 4th of July parade. (I’m not kidding…it’s at least a week in advance and you better not mess with someone’s chair).

Anyway, I thought I would go over some flag etiquette.

First off let me just review the meanings for each color.
Red: stands for courage
White: is the symbol of purity and innocence.
Blue: is the color of vigilance, perseverance and justice.


Flags should be displayed only from sunrise to sunset unless given a spotlight. Unless for some very special reason, a flag should NOT be displayed in a storm or rainy weather. In no case should it touch the ground. It should be raised briskly and lowered solemnly.

When hung from a pole, the blue field should be against the pole and always at the top. When hung vertically or horizontally against a wall the blue field should be to the left for the person viewing the flag.

When displayed in the middle of a street it should hang vertically and the blue field should point north (or east for a street that runs north and south).

When a flag passes during a parade, men and women not in uniform are to place their right hands over their heart.

To dispose of an old tattered flag you need to drop it off at the local post office. They should all have a flag drop box.

“I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all.”

2 comments:

Intense Guy said...

:)

Wow, you must have a really cool Fourth of July parade to have "chair squatters"! I don't think I've heard of such a thing.

I just wish the Star Spangled Banner was a tad easier to sing - I can remember the words but hitting the notes - not happening.

Alexis AKA MOM said...

that really is great I knew some of this but not all of it.

I love you put the pledge :)