Friday, June 11, 2010

Pesto Anyone?

One of the things I planted during my weekend project was some basil. I love to use fresh herb for all my summer cooking. I usually have them on the back deck but with full sun all day it can be a challenge to keep them healthy. This year I thought I would try them on the front porch. They seem inviting and they can get a reprieve from the harsh sun there.

It didn’t take long for the tiny plant to fill out.
It was just calling my name and I know how good it is for the plant to get cut back so it grows in even fuller. So no time like the present for a little pesto.


2 cups packed Basil
2-3 Cloves Garlic (I use 1 or less)
1/3 cup Pine Nuts
½ cup Olive Oil
½ cup Ramano Cheese

In a food processor or blender add the pine nuts and the basil and pulse it a few times. Add a little garlic and start to stream in some olive oil while the processor is running. Check the texture; add in some cheese and maybe some more olive oil. Blend. Salt to taste and you’re done.
This is great over pasta, chicken, backed potato or I like it on slices of baguettes with a little mozzarella sprinkled on top.

What fun summer cooking do you enjoy?

2 comments:

Intense Guy said...

You really do have a green thumb (and especially so if you dip it in the pesto). That plant is really "growing like a weed".

Fun summer cooking? Hmmm... I got to think about that one... Hmm...

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Oh girlie, I love THIS!!! I so have to make it.