Friday, June 25, 2010

T-shirt Dress

I’ve seen cute T-shirt dresses on other blogs and in Esty stores and I always wanted to try making one myself. The impulse finally hit me at the right time and I bit the bullet. My girls and I went together to pick out some cute fabric that would coordinate but not be too matchy-matchy.

I had already picked up a few T-shirts on clearance and now with the fabric in hand I was ready to go.


I roughly measured my daughter from mid torso to knee for the length. Using another dress from her closet I guesstimated the width to be about 1 and a half yards to 4 feet. Once I cut the fabric I ironed the selvage edge to make a hem.




Then fold the fabric with the right sides facing in and stitch the edge to make a tube. After that I trimmed to about ¼ inch from that edge and ran it back through my machine using a zigzag stitch to keep the edges from fraying.



Now for the shirt part…measure about 4 inches down from the bottom of the sleeve and cut straight across the t-shirt.


Then I pined the fabric to the shirt, randomly placing folds or pleats to gather the fabric around the waist (an empire waist).




Here are the finished dresses.



I had some matching ribbon and I found ladybug buttons that I used to embellish the top of the shirt. The two dresses (including the time spent sewing the first one together wrong, ripping it out and sewing it again) took my around 90 minutes.

Not too shabby??? I wish I had done this before the way my girls love to wear dresses.

4 comments:

Teaching Heart Mom said...

I talent I wish I have but not have the patience to learn is sewing. Those are too cute!

Liz Mays said...

You are so talented! Those came out so darn cute!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Girl you really are so freaking talented!!! I love the detail of the ladybug button.

You're the best mom!!!

Intense Guy said...

Very talented indeed.

:) and now, nicely dressed too!