Monday, September 13, 2010

Back to school routine

It always seems to take a few days/weeks to get into a routine again after summer vacation. I’m always looking for new ways to make things easier for all of us when it comes to getting ready and out the door on time. Last year I started using cubbies to help the kiddos find their clothes in the morning. That has proven to be very useful in reducing our morning stress. Nonetheless, I still need a little more help.

I find myself yelling every morning; “Are you done getting dressed?” “Did you brush your teeth yet?” “Hurry up and brush your hair!” Then it never fails that we are headed out the door and someone has to run back in to go potty or we’re at the bus stop and I realize that someone has a milk mustache.

So in the hope that I could reduce the amount of yelling I do and get all little people organize on time I made a chart.



I made a table in word and then used google images to give each item an icon. I taped the paper to an old cookie sheet. And I used yard sale stickers to color code some magnets for each of the girls. The trick is keeping little man from moving their magnets around. (Boy, that really bugs them).

The first day it was a novelty and they spent extra time running back-n-forth to move their magnets over but now it seems to be streamlining their routine and keeping them on task without my yelling. WooHoo!!!!

Got any other helpful hint I could use????


4 comments:

kyooty said...

Excellent idea! I made lunches the night before or everything but the sandwich.

Heather said...

Wow that's a great idea and organizational tool! I'm even thinking of something like this for the evening - to keep me on track too ;-) Getting homework done, chores, bath, etc. I like that you're instilling responsibility in them as well - you provided the framework, they know what needs to be done, and it's up to them to make sure THEY do it. Very cool ideas - thanks!

Intense Guy said...

:)

I see your girls being the first ones on the block to carry daytimers (or palmpilots or whatever the lastest techological marvel is...)

I read a blog somewhere were the mom laid out the entire school week's worth of clothes on Sunday night... sounded a bit much to me...

:)

Debbie said...

Brilliant idea! Don't you just love it when you have one that actually works?